Monday, February 1, 2010

True Colors

True Colors is by Kristen Hannah. Last time I read one of her books I declared I had found a new favorite book of all time. Which is why it is so painful for me to write this review. There is one thing I can say about Kristen Hannah- she is a fabulous story teller. But the truth is this story just wasn't for me. I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't like it. It was the story of three sisters. One we never learned much about except that she wasn't really in love with her husband. Then as a side note, we find out he had an affair and left her. Next, was Winona. She was a lawyer- had the brains of the family, but was overweight and unlucky in love. Then there was Vivi Ann. The town beauty who was obsessed with her parent's farm and horses. Vivi Ann falls tragically in love with an Indian, Dallas. Then Dallas get convicted of murder. If it weren't for Vivi Ann's son being tied in at the end of the novel, I would have really disliked this book. I don't want to give away the whole ending, but it just didn't seem to come together for me. I couldn't respect what Vivi Ann did to herself while Dallas was in jail. I didn't feel like they really feel in love or even had a story- he just had power over her. Then at the end the man who Win had a crush on finally realizes she is the one he wants- I don't know. Kinda far fetched and unbelievable...

No comments: